Beaconhouse National University (BNU)
If we talk about liberal arts, the name Beaconhouse National University (BNU) pops up in our minds, being first of its kind in Pakistan. It is the only University in Pakistan that offers undergraduate and graduate programs in various fields of Liberal Arts, including design, business, economics, visual arts, architecture, psychology, journalism, media studies, theatre, film and television, education, computer and Information Technology.
BNU is chartered by the Government of Pakistan and is a non-profit, non-sectarian, apolitical and believes in equal opportunity in all degree programs many of which are not offered elsewhere in Pakistan. BNU is also a member of the Higher Education Commission (HEC) and the Association of Commonwealth Universities.
BNU was founded in 2003 by its parent company Beaconhouse School system. It is located at Raiwind adjacent to the Bahria Town.
The mission of BNU is an exclusive undertaking that stands undeterred in producing a respectful and tolerant generation of young people who possess the potential to create a positive impact in their communities. BNU continues to offer modern curricula in a range of conventional and new disciplines while preserving the history and culture of Pakistani society.
BNU has contributed a lot for the economy of Pakistan with major human capital of more than 2898 graduates in the last ten years in disciplines related to the socio-economic growth of the country. Many of these alumni have gained global professional distinctions and recognition. BNU has a student enrollment of more than 2000, 79 permanent and 150 adjunct faculty members, the campus of BNU stands at a whopping 35 contiguous acres. BNU has offered and given an estimate of Rs. 230 Million worth of merit and need-based scholarships since 2006-2016.
Schools at BNU Beaconhouse National University
- Mariam Dawood School of Visual Arts and Design (MDSVAD)
- Seeta Majeed School of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences (SLASS)
- Razia Hassan School of Architecture (SA)
- School of Media and Mass Communication (SMC)
- School of Education (SE)
- School of Computer & Information Technology (SCIT)
- Institute of Psychology (IP)
BNU has secured a number of distinguishing and prestigious awards including,
- BNU placed 2nd in the General Universities (small) category on Quality and Research Ranking while earning the highest- ranked category “W4” by the HEC
- Faculty of BNU was honored with various awards, including the Humboldt Foundation Award for Research, Sitara-i-Imtiaz, Engro Excellence Lifetime Achievement Award, M.S. Swaminathan Environment Protection Award 2012, HEC best teacher award, Abraaj Capital art prizes, Distinguished Publication Award, National Bibliophile Award, ACUADS Fellowship, Australian Alumni Excellence Award and many more.
- Students of BNU are awarded international scholarships every year including Fulbright Fellowships, Rockefeller and Erasmus Mundus.